Los Angeles Update:
Restaurants and retail shops are exempt from the LA bag ban. The Los Angeles Bag Ban on single use disposable bags will take effect on Jan. 1, 2014, at grocery stores and pharmacies.
Los Angeles City Bag Ban targets the t-shirt style plastic bags offered at grocery stores and pharmacies. Are all shapes and sizes of plastic bags banned? Not all plastic bags are banned.
Bags allowed are:
- Produce bags used for bagging vegetables, fruits and meats, and pharmacy bags;
- Restaurant bags;
- Hardware stores bags (e.g. Home Depot, Lowes and others); and
- Select retail stores bags (e.g. Macy’s, JC Penny, Ross, TJ Maxx, and others).
What types of stores are included in the ban?
- Large stores with gross annual sales of over $2 million selling dry groceries, canned goods, or nonfood items and perishable items or stores of at least 10,000 square feet of retail space generating sales or use tax and has a licensed pharmacy are included in the ban (e.g. Ralphs, Target, Walmart, Vons, Food 4 Less, 99cent Only Stores, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, and others).
- Small stores such as drug stores, pharmacies, supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience food stores, food-marts, and other entities engaged in the retail sales of a limited line of goods that sell milk, bread, soda, and snack foods, in addition to stores with a Type 20 or 21 license issued by the
- Department of Alcoholic Beverage Controlled stores are also included in the ban (e.g. 7-Eleven, AM PM Mini Markets, and others).
Let S. Walter assist you in making sure your packaging choices meet the growing number of bag regulations around the country. Make sure to keep checking our website for updates on single use bag legislation that is pending or being implemented. Our retail packaging specialists stay on top of the ever-changing market conditions. Let us help you navigate bag legislation in the municipalities you sell into and select the best packaging for your stores. We hope that you will contact us by phone at 888-429-5673 or via email at email@example.com